Labor Day in Albuquerque: What’s open? What’s closed?
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — If you’re getting the itch to kill some time, be productive or just have some fun this Labor Day, here’s a look at what’s open and closed.
Places of interest for nature lovers are open:
- ABQ BioPark Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden
- Petroglyph National Monument
- Rio Grande Nature Center
Indoor swimming pools and golf courses are open, as well as a few museums:
- National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
‘Chocolate: The Exhibition’ is running at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science through March 2023. The exhibit takes you on chocolate’s journey from being a small, bitter seed found deep in a rainforest to a continent-spanning delicacy beloved by the world today. More information is here.
New Mexico Veterans’ Memorial Park is also open. The 1st Annual Music Fest for New Mexico Fire Relief is taking place there from 2-7 p.m., featuring performances by local artists. A $20 cash donation to NM Fire Relief is the admission and desserts are available with a cash donation. More information is here.
The New Mexico Harvest Wine Festival is celebrating its final day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Balloon Fiesta Park.
The festival features unlimited wine tastings from New Mexico’s top wineries, a dueling piano show, a vendor marketplace and food truck dining. Tickets can be purchased on their website and provide you access to everything at the festival plus a Viva Vino wine glass and $5 off any bottle of wine.
Albuquerque Solid Waste Department’s convenience centers are also open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Albuquerque Museum
- Balloon Museum
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
- National Hispanic Cultural Center
Schools and government institutions are enjoying a day off, including:
- Albuquerque and Rio Rancho public schools
- All city, county, state and federal offices
- Congressional offices
- Federal, state, district and metro courts
- Postal service, no mail delivery or post office hours
- Department of Workforce Solutions
- Albuquerque Animal Welfare; only intake desk and reclaims open at East and West Side shelters
And many forms of public transportation are also unavailable:
- ABQ Ride
- Rail Runner Express