Lightning safety tips to remember during monsoon season

[anvplayer video=”5116361″ station=”998122″]

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Monsoon season is finally here, and with it comes the chance of dangerous thunderstorms. 

While only 10% of people struck by lightning are fatal, the other 90% live with discomfort and disabilities for the rest of their lives.

Lightning can strike up to 25 miles away from a thunderstorm. So even if it’s not cloudy or raining where you are, you can still get struck by a nearby thunderstorm.

A good safety saying to remember, when it comes to lightning is, “when thunder roars, go indoors.”

According to the National Weather Service, the safest place is in an enclosed structure with plumbing and electrical wiring. That could be shopping centers, schools, office buildings and homes.

Once inside those buildings, make sure to stay away from windows, plumbing, and any kind of electrical items.

Buildings with exposed sides like sheds, carports, baseball dugouts and even a porch will provide no safety from lightning. If there is no shelter available nearby, an enclosed metal vehicle will suffice. 

Brandon Richards has a full look at the forecast here:

[anvplayer video=”5116368″ station=”998122″]