Plea deal reached in fatal shooting outside West Mesa HS
[anvplayer video=”5192667″ station=”998122″]
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A plea deal is in the works for the teen accused of shooting and killing a classmate outside of West Mesa High School last year.
More than a year has passed since 16-year-old Andrew Burson was killed.
On Monday, attorneys met to discuss the next steps for Marco Trejo, the alleged shooter. KOB 4 has learned an agreement has been reached.
Documents allege that Trejo, who was just 14 years old at the time, pulled the trigger in February 2022. Trejo and Burson were fighting over what police called a ghost gun. It’s believed Trejo had taken the weapon from him, and in an attempt to get away, police say he fired multiple shots.
“We did finally come to a firm agreement, plea paperwork has been written and signed and sent to the court,” said Bridget McKenney, prosecutor.
The details of the plea deal are expected to come out Friday.
While justice is important, the Burson family says they don’t want this type of tragedy to happen to anyone else.
“That’s what matters, he’s gone,” said Al Burson, Andrew’s father. “It won’t change a thing what I find out. He’s gone. I’ll never get him back.”
Trejo is in custody at the juvenile detention center. The plea hearing is set for Friday morning.
In May protestors circled West Mesa, demanding safety in and around school campuses.