Rogue firework starts fire at NE Albuquerque home

[anvplayer video=”5119360″ station=”998122″]

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — At a northeast Albuquerque home, fireworks landed at a family’s home – almost sparking a full-blown house fire.

“This is where the fire started over here last night,” said Andrew Martinez, who was forced into survival mode around 1 a.m. “I was sleeping and my step-mother woke me up screaming, the house was on fire.”

The cause? A rogue firework from somewhere in the neighborhood.

“And then it melted this down, and caught what used to be here, was a cooler we used to put trash in so we could throw it away, and I guess it caught on fire and started burning the house,” Martinez said. “So I jumped up as fast as I could and I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out.”

His quick thinking saved most of the shed full of family memorabilia, and it also saved what could have been a heftier home improvement bill.

“I know it’s going to be pretty expensive, not to mention the paint and probably the stucco we’re gonna have to replace down there,” he said.

Martinez said Albuquerque police and Albuquerque Fire Rescue came to check it out. He said police didn’t mention whether they’d pursue citations or charges, and he’s not confident this will stop the constant firework displays in his neighborhood.

“I really hope people are safe and cautious this fourth of July. Everything’s really tough as it is with fires and everything, we don’t need anybody to lose their homes due to reckless fireworks.”