APS superintendent finalists taking part in public forums
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The two candidates still vying to become the next superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools will participate in several public forums Tuesday.
Gabriella Durán Blakey, the APS Chief of Operations Officer, and Thomas Ahart, the former superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools, are vying for the job. Blakey and Ahart will take part in the forums at the Berna Facio Professional Development Complex:
- 9 a.m. – noon Public Town Hall featuring a student panel and pre-submitted questions for the superintendent finalists
- 5 – 5:45 p.m. APS Employee Forum where finalists will be asked questions pre-submitted by teachers and staff
- 6 -8 p.m. General Public Forum where finalists will introduce themselves and answer pre-submitted questions
The new superintendent will replace Superintendent Scott Elder, who will be leaving APS when his contract expires on June 30.
The board is scheduled to meet in executive session on Wednesday, Jan. 31 to interview the finalists.
APS Board President Danielle Gonzales hopes to have a decision by Wednesday night. If they don’t make a decision by then, they will meet next week.
- 2 APS superintendent candidates remain after finalist drops out
- APS superintendent candidates now down to 3
- APS Board selects semifinalists for superintendent
- Thousands weigh in on APS superintendent search